WELCOME :: MAIN MENU MOVED TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS BLOG

Search the net ::

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Man in al-Qa'ida arrest wins £20,000 payout.

A student who was wrongfully arrested on suspicion of being a terrorist after downloading an edited copy of The al-Qa'ida Training Manual for his PhD course, has been paid £20,000 in compensation by police. 

 Rizwaan Sabir, 26, who is now researching domestic UK counter-terrorism policy at the University of Strathclyde, was held for seven days in 2008 by Nottinghamshire Police after downloading the document, which is available on Amazon, from a US government website while studying at the University of Nottingham. 

 "For more than three years, I have been fighting to clear my name and establish that the police were wrong to arrest me and put me through the tortuous experience I suffered at their hands," said Mr Sabir. He added that he cannot forget "all those other innocent people like me who have suffered at the hands of the police but do not have the chance or means to vindicate their names". 

 The Chief Constable of Nottinghamshire Police agreed to pay the compensation for Mr Sabir's....